You may have noticed something called “delta-8” on the shelf at your local CBD store recently. This new derivative of the hemp plant is, in fact a federally legal version of the ever so popular delta-9 (which also produces a high but is derived from the marijuana plant).
Here are the top 10 things you should know about delta-8 THC:
- Delta-8 THC is federally legal. As long as it is fully derived from the hemp plant, as stated in the 2018 Farm Bill. This delta-8 allowance does not exclude regulations of the delta-9 variety. All delta-9 THC levels MUST be below 0.3% in order to be legal, even if derived from hemp.
- Delta-8 IS psychoactive and produces a “high”. Individuals should not operate vehicles or machinery while under the influence of these products.
- Delta-8 is a cannabinoid (active ingredients of the hemp/marijuana plants) and is found in BOTH the hemp and marijuana plants. Examples of cannabinoids are: CBD, THC, CBN, CBG etc. These are all active parts of these plants which help our bodies heal, relax and benefit.
- Delta-8 IS THC. Although delta-8 is derived from the hemp plant where high amounts of CBD are present, delta-8 is THC.
- Delta-8 THC is still THC and may cause a drug test to display positive results. You should NOT use delta-8 products if you have concerns about passing drug tests.
- Check local regulations: Although delta-8 is federally legal, it is important to check all local and statewide regulations and guidelines before purchasing, consuming and traveling with these products.
- Delta-8 THC produces a high very similar to delta-9 THC. Major differences are said to be decreased anxiety, paranoia and the tendency to be a very “productive high”. Delta-8 THC high is also known to be a much “milder” high than that of delta-9 from the marijuana plant and much more is needed to reach the same total psychoactive effect. As Delta Effex explained, “Delta-8 offers a way to try some of the effects of delta-9, without diving headlong into a full high experience.”
- What type of feelings does delta-8 produce: Much like CBD and delta-9 THC, delta-8 imparts the relaxation, focus, and uplift that consumers expect, along with reported pain reduction and decreased nausea.
- Just like marijuana and delta-9 THC, there are different strains of delta-8 THC available on the market today. You’ll find gummies in different flavors, vape cartridges with different terpenes (flavors, scents, effects naturally derived from different strains) each pertaining to different strains. Some may be indicas, some may be sativas and some may be hybrids. Indica strains are great for relaxing and sleeping, sativas are great for being sociable and active and hybrids are a mix of both.
- There is no such thing as delta-8 THC flower. If you see delta-8 flower, it is really CBD sprayed with delta-8 THC.
In conclusion, we always advise doing your due diligence in research of the products and company with which you decide to do business with. Because delta-8 is psychoactive please be advised that there are different laws, regulations and rules between cities, states and municipals. Education is important and we are glad you have taken the first step to learning about the incredible benefits of hemp and its derivatives.